Mosaic Ministries, an initiative of United Methodists of Greater New Jersey, partners seminary students and recent seminary graduates with local churches. The partnership enhances the local church by providing a new perspective for fresh ministries and enriches the students’ education and discernment process.
Each year, GNJ engages students or recent graduates who start working in ministry immediately under the guidance of seasoned leaders and within a cohort of supportive peers. In addition, Mosaic pastors receive continuing education with retreats and conferences scheduled throughout the year so that they have opportunities for professional growth and feedback. Greater New Jersey is one of the most diverse places in the country and our congregations have different worshipping styles, theological understandings, racial and ethnic backgrounds. Each placement is unique. Since founding Mosaic Ministries, GNJ has engaged 30 young adults who have gone on to lead churches, nonprofit organizations and excel in doctoral studies.
Through Mosaic Ministries, participants will engage in topics that are outside what is taught in seminary. Students will enjoy practical experience in stewardship, vision casting, and leading change in a community through Jesus Christ.
Mosaic Ministries welcomes all people to participate and lead in its ministries and programs. We believe that all people are of sacred worth, beloved children of God, and embrace the diversity of race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, economic ability, family configurations, education and mental and physical ability in the Body of Christ. Whoever you are and wherever you are from, here you will find a safe, life-giving space to connect, grow and lead in your faith journey.
Expand your gifts as a leader by engaging in hands-on ministry experiences in all aspects of the local church and beyond. Leaders in Mosaic Ministries receive support, guidance and feedback of their leadership from experienced clergy and staff.
Mosaic Pastor Models
Mosaic co-pastor serves half-time in a local congregation while completing seminary studies. The local congregation receives two Mosaic co-pastors who serve together. GNJ pairs seminary students with complimentary gift sets to lead ready and willing local congregations who are no longer able to afford a full-time pastor.
A Mosaic associate pastor is a seminary student or recent seminary graduate who serves half-time in a congregation under the supervision and mentorship of an effective senior pastor.
Mosaic co-pastors and associates go through the appointment year as a cohort. They are expected to attend a retreat to begin the year, a continuing education conference, and resourcing and check-in gatherings for their ongoing growth and development. All Mosaic pastors are appointed for a renewable yearlong commitment that begins in July. Mosaic pastors are usually appointed within 45 minutes of the seminary.
Vitality, Mission, Relationships
- Help move local congregations toward models of vitality that can be replicated throughout the diverse “mosaic” of church ministries in Greater New Jersey. Churches in Mosaic Ministries prioritize the needs of their surrounding communities by living out mission-focused ministry.
- Be a part of a church and leadership that engages in ministry that makes a difference. Leaders in Mosaic have the unique opportunity to develop relationships with conference staff and clergy through the cohort.
- Share who you are, your unique gifts and interests, and your vision for ministry with leaders from all over Greater New Jersey.
Visioning and Strategic Planning
- Imagine and implement a vision for vital ministry.
- Develop and lead highly energetic, engaged, and relevant worship for all ages. Connect with dynamic congregations and communities by providing pastoral care.
- Experiment with innovative ways to engage community in mission.
If you have questions about this program, please email Davidson Sutherland or call 732-637-2806.