Be A Part of a Sacred Journey | June 18-25, 2022
This pilgrimage will bring together a diverse group of NJ high school students in grades 9-12, committed to journeying together toward an understanding of racial justice in our country and in our lives.
Imagine traveling through the places of our country’s most significant civil rights’ events, to meet the people that made equality happen, and with those who continue the work in some of the most challenging spaces. Imagine walking the grounds where middle and high school students held hands and protected each other from attack dogs and fire hoses and took bold steps forward toward their own and each other’s freedom. Imagine hearing from present-day activists how they push back against hate speech, online harassment, and verbal attacks.
Imagine sharing your heart and listening to the hearts of other students; struggling, listening, changing, standing up, holding on, and moving forward.
Our hope is that through pilgrimage, we will build an understanding of racial justice which will help us form a commitment to equality and justice and from that, actions that move us into deep justice work.
You are invited to join this journey.
What It Requires:
- Participation in group sessions throughout the year, both online and in-person
- Completing assigned readings by leading thinkers on race and civil rights
- Fundraising $1,200 over the course of the year for the pilgrimage
- Full participation on the pilgrimage
- For students in grades 9-12
The dates for the group sessions will be:
- September 12, 2021 (online, orientation)
- October 1-3, 2021 (in-person at IGNITE Conference)
- November 14, 2021 (online)
- January 30, 2022 (in-person)
- April 3, 2022 (in-person)
- May 29, 2022 (online)
*Please note that these dates will be finalized once the cohort is formed.
Students will be responsible for fundraising their cost of the pilgrimage, but Next Generation Ministries will offer several fundraising tools to help make your fundraising easy. These tools will include:
- Fundraising targets and goals to spread out the fundraising over time
- An online giving page for people to donate online
- A Text-to-Give number for people to donate to you through their phone
- Draft fundraising letter and list of fundraising ideas
- Connections to other local churches willing to support and give
How To Apply:
Complete the online application by August 22, 2021 to be considered in the first round of applications. The first round of applicants will be notified of acceptance by September 1, 2021.